The Friends of Gunnersbury Park & Museum were formed in 1981 and registered as a charity (number 286310). They aim to raise awareness of what is on offer at Gunnersbury and to keep a wide public informed about the Park and Museum. The Friends also help to preserve and improve the Park, with its varied landscape, its sports, leisure and recreational activities and its historic buildings and Museum.
Full details about the Friends and their activities can be found at gunnersburyfriends.org
Since 1981 the Friends have:
- kept members up to date with news about the Park, the Museum and the work of the Gunnersbury Park Joint Committee/Gunnersbury Park Joint Advisory Panel
- served as observers on the Gunnersbury Park Joint Committee (made of up 6 councillors from both the boroughs of Ealing and Hounslow) until it was disbanded in 2007; the Chairman is now a co-opted member of the Gunnersbury Park Joint Advisory Panel
- put on some lively events in the Park and in the Museum
- made donations and supported the purchase of new acquisitions to improve the Museum collections and equipment and planting to enhance the Park
- undertaken the restoration of the Victorian Kitchens and staffed them for the first few seasons of opening to visitors
- contributed information and expertise to the first Park Development Plan (1990s), successful bid for Heritage Lottery funding for restoration and to many of the consultancies, studies and reports into the Park’s future
- contributed volunteers to many projects, from bulb planting to opening Amelia’s Grotto on Open House weekends
- run two Cafés in the Park for three years and developed a banqueting service, mainly using the Temple
- contributed expertise, energy and support to the development of the successful HLF applications which will fund major refurbishment over the next few years and will contribute some funding to support their implementation.
The Friends are delighted to welcome new members, paying the annual subscription of £10 on which they can claim Gift Aid. Membership details can be found online at gunnersburyfriends.org/friends/join-the-friends/.